Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Letter to local residents from Siobhain McDonagh MP about riots in the Tandem Centre and Priory Retail Park

Dear resident,

I was out in Colliers Wood at midnight on Monday night as shops in the Tandem Centre and Priory Retail Park were being burnt and looted. I cannot remember when I was so angry. Kids are coming out and starting riots and adults are driving round in cars to see what they can steal.


I would ask all parents to keep their sons and daughters in over the next few nights. Many young people are getting caught up in these riots who have not previously been in any trouble - so the safest thing is for them to be off the streets altogether as they could easily be arrested and end up with serious criminal records that will affect them for the rest of their lives.

And as for the adults. They are preying on the most vulnerable people, taking or destroying property from people who have very little and often have no insurance. People’s jobs and livelihoods are being stolen from them. So can I ask if you know anyone who has looted, or if you are offered stolen goods, please call 999 and tell the police.

If you are worried about passing on this information then tell me and I will speak to the police and keep your details confidential. With Westminster in recess I am working in the constituency full time. So you can get me at my Morden office on 020 8542 4835. If I'm out on a visit then leave a message with Amy and I will call you back.


Can I also take this opportunity to say to parents that there are lots of events over the summer for children and teenagers. Here are examples of two free events in the next week -


Commonside Development Trust ‘Funday’

Saturday 13 August midday to 5pm

Donnelly Green

South Lodge Avenue

Pollards Hill

There is a day of activities and events for all ages, including army assault courses and a barbeque, and for younger ones there is also a bouncy castle, face paints and stilt walkers. There will even be an Elvis impersonator, so please come along. All are welcome!



Free Basketball Taster Day

Thursday 18 August 11am to 3pm

Lavender Park

Steers Mead

Mitcham CR4 3HL

All ages and abilities, including beginners are welcome. There will be expert coaching, skills and drills and prizes and giveaways. There will also be free weekly basketball sessions every Tuesday from 4-6pm at the same place for the rest of August and September.


I have also put together a full list of one off summer events, plus a booklet on regular all year round youth clubs. If you'd like copies of these, again call my office 0208 542 4835 or email me on siobhain@mmlp.org.uk. Or simply call in to my office at 1 Crown Road, Morden SM4 5DD (it’s just behind the civic centre) to collect your copy.



With good wishes,



Siobhain McDonagh



PS if there is any trouble at all local Councillors and I will always come out at night to make sure local residents are safe. This is our community and we must not let a minority wreck it. But please tell the police or me if you know anything. These mindless individuals are putting our neighbours’ livelihoods and lives at risk.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home