Thursday, March 15, 2007

Wellington

I have just spent the last two days in the capital of New Zealand Wellington. The city itself is extremely hilly and reminds me in a way of San Francisco, like that city it is also on a major fault line and the building have been re-enforced against earthquakes.

Today, I visited the New Zealand Parliament building including the Beehive building which was designed by the architect of Coventry Cathedral Sir Basil Spence, the building in design terms is unique and while it has its critics it is certainly a building that has merits from the innovative design even if it may need be the most appropriate building built.

I also took a visit on the cable car which at the summit provided amazing views of Wellington, I also went up Mount Victoria which overlooks Wellington and similarly provides great views of the city.

The national museum of New Zealand Te Papa was well worth visiting and contains many exhibits relating to New Zealand along with giving a comprehensive chronicle of the history of the Maori people.

Tomorrow I'm off to the South Island and Christchurch is the next stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home