Friday, July 28, 2006

Mitcham academies get the go ahead.

Having just got back from Budapest, I am delighted to see that Rob Macdonald has lost his judicial review and that Tamworth Manor will re-open in September as an academy school.

Over the last year, this has been a major issue in Pollards Hill and as a governor of Tamworth Manor School, I know that this decision is the right one and I have no doubt it will significantly improve standards and drive up results. It is a shame that this judicial review prolonged the matter and of late has caused so much uncertainty for both pupils and staff at the school, I am glad it has now been resolved.

Mitcham Vale the other school in question will re-open on the same date as St Mark's Church of England Academy. In Pollards Hill, we also have a large Black-African population many of whom are very committed Christians. With the two faith based High schools in Merton being based in Wimbledon, faith school options were very limited especially as both Wimbledon schools were heavily over-subscribed and both Catholic. The new faith school will allow many more Pollards Hill and Mitcham parents the opportunity for their children to attend a faith school and with an every growing Christian population, it fills a much needed demand. The school will continue to open to both Christians and Non-Christians. Tamworth Manor will continue be a non-denominational school.

I would also like to extend my thanks to the work of the LB Merton officers especially Dave Hill the Director of Children Services. Special thanks also need to go to local Labour MP Siobhain Mc Donagh who acted upon the concern of many parents in the local area and was instrumental in helping us obtain two academy schools in Mitcham.

I enclose the news story below, I also enclose a Dfes press release about academies, which shows their popularity with parents, and evidence that they are driving up standards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5221662.stm

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id=2006_0114

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Galpins Rd Thornton Heath CR 7 6EB and really need to get my 13 year old into school. He is new in the country as I came ahead to get settled in. Please can you let me know if the Academy in Pollards Hill has places.

Thanks

02086834819

9:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home